对话一
A: Hi. I want to get something nice for my niece.
您好,我想给我的侄女买件像样的礼物。
B: Well, I've never heard of a little girl that didn't love Barbie dolls.
就我所知,没有那个小女孩不爱芭比娃娃的。
A: I like that suggestion. Show me one, please.
这个建议不错。拿给我看一下吧。
B: Here you go—Digital Barbie.
这就是——数码芭比。
A: Oh, my niece will love her! How much for her?
我侄女肯定会喜欢的。多少钱?
B: Barbie is our best seller. She's only $29.95.
在我们这芭比娃娃是最畅销的。这个只要29.95美元。
A: That's great. I'll take her.
太好了。我买了。
B: Your niece will love this. Anything else?
您侄女肯定会爱死这个的。还需要别的吗?
A: Thank you, but no. This will do it for now.
谢谢,不用了。这个就行了。
B: With the tax, your total is $32.42. Would you like to charge it?
加上税,总共32.42美元。要用支票付款吗?
A: I'll pay cash, thank you.
用现金吧。谢谢。
B: Thank you for shopping here.
谢谢惠顾
对话二
Lisa: Happy birthday, Jim!
吉姆,生日快乐!
Jim: Thank you, Lisa.
谢谢你,莉萨。
Lisa: Here is a present for you. I hope you like it..
这是给你的生日礼物。但愿你能喜欢。
Jim: Oh, great! I love it! You know I’ve been expecting this for a long time.
哦,太棒了!我太喜欢了!你知道我一直都想要它。
Lisa: I’m very glad to hear that..
听你这样说我很高兴。
Jim: Come here; let me introduce some friends to you..
快过来,我给你介绍几位朋友。
对话三
CAROLINE: What should I get Uncle Teddy?
送什么给泰迪叔叔好呢?
DRAKE: You could get him a tie.
可以送他领带啊。
CAROLINE: Are you kidding?
开什么玩笑?
That's the stupidest gift one can buy. I don't want to get a tie.
那是最蠢的礼物了,我不要买领带。
DRAKE: Why not?
CAROLINE: Everybody gets men ties for Christmas. It's too boring. Everybody buys either ties or sweaters. I want a more unique gift.
大家都送男生领带当圣诞礼物,那太死板了。不是送领带就是送毛衣,我要送点特别的。
DRAKE: Well, you can buy him a pet iguana then.
那么你可以买只宠物鬣蜥蜴给他
CAROLINE: That's a cool idea. At least it would be a surprise.
But I'm afraid he wouldn't take care of it.
不错的点子,至少他会很惊讶。不过我怕他不会养。
DRAKE: He would think you were crazy, Caroline.
他会认为你疯了,凯洛琳。
CAROLINE: Yes. An iguana is too strange for a gift, and a tie is too normal.
So I have to find something halfway between.
没错。送蜥蜴太奇怪,送领带又太普通。所以要取其中
DRAKE: How much do you want to spend?
你要花多少钱?
CAROLINE: Well, he was very good to me.
他对我很好。
He helped me edit my essay for the scholarship contest.So I want to spend at least 75 dollars.
他帮我修改要参赛拿奖学金的文章,所以我至少要送他 75 美元的东西。
DRAKE: Alright, I have an idea.You know he carries that conservative-looking briefcase every day.
那好,我想到了。你知道他每天都提着那个老旧的公文包
CAROLINE: Yes.
DRAKE: Well, he isn't a lawyer, so I don't think he needs to have a briefcase like that.
他不是律师,不需要用那种公文包吧。
CAROLINE: What should he have then?
他不是律师,不需要用那种公文包吧。
DRAKE: I think he would appreciate having a very fine leather bag.But more like a bookbag or shoulder bag.You know, not so hard and square like a briefcase.
他会喜欢用皮制的包包。但要更像是书包或是背包。不像公文包那样又硬又方正。
CAROLINE: I think that's a great idea. Men look great with that kind of bag.Where can we buy one?
这主意不错,男生背那种背包很好看。
哪里买得到呢?
DRAKE: I don't think this mall has a leather goods store.So we have to go to State Street.
这个购物中心没有皮制品的商店。我们必须到斯泰特街上。
CAROLINE: Alright. We can go later then.
好,那么等会儿去买吧。
DRAKE: We can buy something for Mom and Dad here,and then go buy Uncle Teddy's gift on State Street.
我们可以在这儿买爸妈的礼物,然后再去斯泰特街上买泰迪叔叔的礼物。